In the past, Sta. Lucia was the center of the town of San Juan. This place could be easily reached that time for there
where many good roads leading to it. The place was also the center of business. A church, a market, and a school were built there. This was first inhabited by people from Mandaluyong.
When the Spaniards left, people began to settle in the present poblacion. This was formerly known as “Pulburista”. The
Spaniards made gunpowder in this place. A tower of the “Pulburista” can still be seen in the Central School of the town. Because of the many settlers in this place, it became very progressive. Good roads were built and it became the next center of business. Due to this progress, the former town center, Sta. Lucia, rarely became a barrio. The “Pulburista” has become the poblacion, up to the present.
Barrio Sta. Lucia got its name from that of a saint. She was the patron saint of a group of families who were the first
tenants occupying a certain part of the land in the middle of the barrio during the early part of 1910. Tandang Lucia, the overseer of the tenants, took care of the image of the saint. The name was adopted by these tenants out of respect to this old woman, who was very kind to them, in honor of this saint, on December 13 of each year.
The barrio includes the present G. Plana Street and its immediate vicinity which was formerly known as Tangke. The
site, where now stands the palace of Iglesia Ni Cristo, was known as Burol Sanggatang. That which is presently occupied by the Sta. Lucia Elementary School and the environe was known before as Burol ni Tano. The Area along the creek on the south side of the barrio was known as Baybay Sapa.