OLD CHURCHES, which were built during the Spanish era, show the deep Christian heritage of the Filipino people. Santuario del Santo Cristo was built by the Dominican Order in 1602 while the St. John the Baptist Parish was built in 1894.
CHURCH of SAN JUAN DEL MONTE
(Santuario Del Sto Cristo)
The Church and convent were built in 1602-1604 by the Dominican Province of the most holy rosary on a site donated by Capitan Julian De Cuenca. Both buildings were burned during the Chinese uprising of 1639. The new church and convent constructed in 1641, were set on fire in July 1763 during the British occupation of Manila. The present church and convent, constructed in 1774, were used by the insurgent forces of the revolution of 1898. This sanctuary is the seat of the Cofraternity of Santisimo Cristo De San Juan Del Monte approved by the Pope Innocent X on March 4, 1648.
St. John the Baptist Parish
While it is formally named the San Juan Bautista Church, the popular nickname of Pinaglabanan testifies to the 1896 uprising of the Katipuneros against the Spaniards. Today, Pinaglabanan Church stands in the midst of the bustling city.
Binalangkas at itinayo ni Arkitekto Luis Arellano noong 1896 sa tulong nina Mariano Artiaga at Martin Ocampo. Nasira noong panahon ng himagsikan, ipinaayos ni Ramon J. Fernandez pagkaraan ng digmaang Pilipino-Amerikano at naging parokya ng San Juan. Ang simbahan ay pinalaki at muling ipinaayos noong 1951 sa pamumuno ng kura paroko P. Hernando Antiporda ang pagbabago ai ginawa ni Arkitekto Otilio A. Arellano na siyang nagsikap upang mapanatili ang iriginal na nabe at harapan nito.